Lyvim Xaphir wrote:

> > > (The events below relate to before Christmas)

Oh, sure with all that egg nod in you, no wonder you were in the
ditch...

> Hmmm. Well, there's a misunderstanding here, first of all.  Mandrake is
> not forcing anything; as a matter of fact, my whole point above was that
> it was 98 that was being obstinate.  The network here works just fine,
> with no problems; but the way I got there is detailed above. LM81 never
> caused any problems whatsoever; all net connections attempted by anyone
> on the local net using a 98 client (after we gave them what they wanted)
> went thru the LM81 machine doing ICS just fine.

I guess my confusion comes from the fact that nothing could be easier
than to set up a Linux machine using NAT. Once this is done, all you
need to do is take that windows machine and give it a ip address, a
netmask, a dns address, and a gateway address. That's it! If that does
not work, fdisk, reformat, and install a real os on that machine.

> I honestly can't see the concern about the difficulty of ICS setup on
> Mandrake after having gone through it myself.  It was a breeze.  The
> problem was not with LM81 setups.

Exactly, I could not agree more with you on this one.

> Now...As to what you said above about setting up a dhcp server.  A
> seperate machine? From the LM81 ICS machine?  You're not serious here,
> are you?  Or perhaps I'm misinterpreting this and what you are saying.
> Because the fact of the matter is that any LM81 machine becomes dhcp
> server capable as soon as the ICS dialogue in the Mandrake Control
> Center is completed.  This is how the LM81 machine masquerades as a
> windoze compatible ICS server.  Because the 98 ICS client machines need
> (by factory icssetup disk) an IP address assigned by dhcp.

No, absolutely not. DHCP (or pump) would be on the same router/gateway
unless the network is quite large.

At this point, after all we have written, I would think Jason (remember
the guy with the original problem) is more of an expert than are we...

Cheerios,
--
J. Craig Woods
UNIX/NT Network/System Administration