Hi,

Until recently I was an happy user running LM8.1 and KDE2 for a while on my
dual AMD Linux box. Yesterday I just tried to install KDE3 official and my
story starts here:

1. no problem to install everything from the official rpms, so far so good
2. first try to launch KDE3:
   - ksplach crashes
   - no more sounds
   - all menus empty - hey, sounds familiar...
   - about half of my desktop configured icons are corrupted
   - kcontrol does not work anymore
3. after a logout and trying to switch back to KDE2:
   - first login within KDE2, kdm crashes
   - second login is OK but some data files are corrupted - I am a quite
     an experienced fox so I had a backup of my .kde and Desktop !
   - third login is OK, back to normal.
     Good to see my stuff is still OK with KDE2 :-P
4. after running update-menus and trying again
   - still my splash screen crashes beautifully  :-))
   - still no sounds  :-(
   - menus are OK now
   - kcontrol is back
   - but... big mess with the fonts and the language set up - guess what...
     I am french and so I like these little tiny symbols we put on top of "e"

Finally, after a couple of hours trying to build something usable I gave up.
I will stay with my good KDE2 on top of 8.1, I don't feel things are stable
enougth to invest in 8.2 and KDE3 - well, yes I wrote *invest* as I use Linux
in my office, just fair for my company to buy it isn't ?

Any clues about anything I missed or did wrong ???

Pierre.