On Mon, 2002-04-08 at 07:20, James Francis wrote:
> Hello
> I have a machine on a network 192.168.0.0 witha a static ip of 192.168.0.250.
> Is it possible to have this machine serve up ip addresses on a 192.168.1.0
> subnet and have the clients be able to access the internet through this
> machine? I have been reading dhcp man pages and howtos, and have been able to
> get dhcp to assign addresses to clients on the 192.168.1.0 subnet, but they
> cannot get to the internet.

> The machine at 192.168.0.250 has 2 nics, one at 192.168.0.250 and one at
> 192.168.1.1

> I am not all that good with subnets and such so any help is greatly
> appreciated.

>       Thanks,
>
>       Jim

Eh...I sincerely hope that I am not going over anything here that you
already know, so pardon me if that is the case, but it's hard to tell
how far along you are here.

First of all, the 192.168.x.x range is the class C network that was
designated by the RFC (Request For Comments) document 1918 as private
net addresses.  RFC 1918 is the most recent RFC on this topic, as far as
I am aware. It puts forth the basic guidelines on private nets.  There
is also a Class A and a Class B IP range set aside for private use.  You
can peruse the information regarding the above on this RFC at the
following URL:

See:   http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1918.html

What this means is that any router on the internet that encounters a
packet from one of these addresses will automatically chunk that packet
out.  Dispose of it, in other words.  What use is that?  Well, it
insures that you can have a private network of your own that
(theoretically) will remain truly private.  No packets are supposed to
escape your Class C 198.162.x.x network.  In theory.  The packets that
are generated on your local net are supposed to remain confined to your
local net.

Now, the downside to this is of course that you cannot access the
internet directly through one of these private addresses.  In order to
do that, you must "translate" your local ip addresses into a bona fide
*public* type IP address.  This is what's called Network Address
Translation, or NAT.  There are several options for installing NAT on
your system such that anyone on your local net can access the internet
thru a system that's connected to the internet.  Such a connected system
in this case is called a gateway.  One way I do it here (because it's
quick and dirty) is by using the Internet Connection Sharing (ICS for
short) option in the Mandrake Control Panel.  The advantage is that if
you have 98 or winblows machines (like I do here), ICS on Mandrake is an
excellently compatible way to get them on the internet all at the same
time, transparently.

There are probably more superior ways to do this.  For example, with the
use of iptables (supposedly an ipchains replacement) you are able to run
a script and instantly set up both NAT, packet filtering, and packet
mangling rules at the same time. (if you know what you are doing.)  This
is what I've been interested in.  There are alot of scripts out there to
accomplish this, but a lot of it still seems to be sort of bleeding
edge.  Some scripts work, others don't, it's kind of like russian
roulette.  In the meantime I've stuck with Mandrake Control Center ICS
until I get an iptables script ready.

Craig?  You're up.  Got the presentation ready? ;)

HTH,

LX

--
Kernel  2.4.8-26mdk     Mandrake Linux  8.1