I have my HP LaserJet 4L runing without problems. If you are susing cups
you can configure it opening a navigator (konqueror, netscape, mozilla,
opera) and put as url: localhost:631; you will be able to configure,
delete add printers and so one.

In my case 8.1 and 8.2 both detected my two printers: Epson Stylus Color
760 conected to usb and the HPLaserJEt 4L in a parallel port, but the
second wasn't configured; nevertheless I could easily select the driver
and runed fine in both Mandrake distributions.

Francisco Alcaraz
Murcia (Spain)