On Mon, 2002-04-22 at 08:40, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> On 22 Apr 2002 08:49:13 -0400, Lyvim Xaphir <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Thanks Woody!  That's cool as hell.  I've often wondered about this but
> > never chased it down.
> >
> > I've got a question for you, about a situation that I have right now.  I
> > have a source src.rpm that's been installed with rpm -ivh (which dumped
> > the contents of the src.rpm in /usr/src/RPM/SOURCES) and I have modified
> > the makefile within the main tar.bz2 source.  What is the rpm command to
> > continue rebuilding the source from that point?
>
> rpm -ba filename.spec

Actually with the stage he is at, this will undo all his changes.  To
accomplish the build with his changes in tact, he needs to do:

rpm -bc --short-circuit filename.spec
rpm -bi --short-circuit filename.spec
rpm -bb --short-circuit filename.spec

Without the --short-circuit, the process will start from the beginning
including untarring the original sources.  However, --short-circuit
limits you to completing the step in question alone, so you have to
manually invoke each step remaining in the process.  On a side note, I'm
not sure if you can short circuit to the build process (-bc), I know you
can the install (-bi) and binary package creation (-bb).

That said, the proper approach would be to make your changes to the
source tarball, diff it against the original and create a patch to
include with the SRPM and use in the spec file.  This however involves
more than I care to put in an email and is covered in many HOWTOs on the
Internet.  Check out the online version of Maximum RPM and the RPM HOWTO
on Mandrake's website (see the cooker section).

http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/howtos/mdk-rpm/

Enjoy,

--
     Woody

Gatewood Green            Web Developer/Systems Admin
Email:                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.linif.org/     Linux in Idaho Falls Linux User Group