On Sun, Apr 21, 2002 at 11:08:55PM -0600, Woody Green wrote:
> To build rpms as root:
> In /root/.rpmrc :
>
> buildarchtranslate: i386: i686
> buildarchtranslate: i486: i686
> buildarchtranslate: i586: i686
> buildarchtranslate: i686: i686
>
> If you want to build rpms as a normal user:
> In ~/.rpmrc :
>
> buildarchtranslate: i386: i686
> buildarchtranslate: i486: i686
> buildarchtranslate: i586: i686
> buildarchtranslate: i686: i686
>
> In ~/.rpmmacros
>
> %_target               linux
> %_topdir               ~/rpm
> %_tmppath              ~/rpm/tmp
>
> And run the following setup commands:
>
> mkdir -p ~/rpm/RPMS/i686
> mkdir -p ~/rpm/RPMS/noarch
> mkdir -p ~/rpm/SRPMS
> mkdir -p ~/rpm/SPECS
> mkdir -p ~/rpm/SOURCES
> mkdir -p ~/rpm/BUILD
> mkdir -p ~/rpm/tmp
>
> Done.
>
> You can now run rpm --rebuild as a regular user and find your results in
> ~/rpm .
>
> Enjoy,
>
>      Woody

I did all these things to build rpms as a user but they still end up
i586. And one strange thing too is i added the entries to .rpmmacros as
you noted and i try rpm --rebuild from my download/rpms where the
src.rpm is and it doesnt work, but if I go to my home dir and exec the
command it works. It seems it doesnt follow that the standard ~/ means home
dir which is weird. I have all the dirs created in
/home/skidley/rpm/.... which should be ~/rpm. very strange indeed.

--
Chad Young
Linux User #195191