On Mon, 2002-04-22 at 12:30, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:

> I thought that Maximum RPM was getting dated, and heard something about
> them coming out with a new version of the book.  I read into the current
> release of Maximum RPM at Barne's & Nobles, and it seemed much more
> oriented to producers of RPM's than to users of them.  On the other
> hand, on visiting the max-rpm page some weeks ago, I got the idea that a
> new release of the book was forthcoming.  You heard anything about this
> or have another perspective?

The version on line should be more current than the print.  It's
supposed to be the next version in progress.  It still could be dated,
but I've yet to get messed up following its directives.  It just turns
out that I discover 'undocumented' features as I go either by accident,
experiment or by looking at other spec files.

I recommend looking over MDK spec files.  You will see all sorts of
'tricks' in use.  Some are specific to MDK and some are RPM in general.
The ones specific to MDK usually are macros defined in /usr/lib/rpm
(macros can be easily brought into other distros using the same macro
files or using ~/.rpmmacros or defining them right in the spec file
they're used in).

--
     Woody

Gatewood Green            Web Developer/Systems Admin
Email:                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.linif.org/     Linux in Idaho Falls Linux User Group