Tom Brinkman wrote:

>      I don't understand why you might think that these issues are
> removed from 'Sanity'.  I see the topic come up all the time on mailing
> lists and newsgroups, with the majority thinking errorenously that
> idebus=  equates to HDD speed/mode, when it clearly == the PCI bus.

Not sure what you mean by this, Tom but you are making my point. If I
ask how to increase harddrive speed i.e. instead of using UDMA 33, I
want to use UDMA 100, it does not help me to have people tell me about
the limitations of the PCI bus speed or the FSB. They are, as you
acurately pointed out, different issues. I was not the one that
originally asked this question but I did follow the thread. My point was
that the thread started out about harddrive questions, and ended up
being about issues such as PCI bus speed (not related to the south chip
that regulates IDE matters, such as ATA), and FSB speed (again related
to memory speed not harddrive speed)

This is the way a thread can go, and that is fine. I was just wondering
if an answer actually could be rendered for the original intent of the
thread, which was, after all, about harddrive speed. I hope you did not
interprete my response as being critical of something you posted. It was
not intended as such. You seem to be the only one suggesting that there
is a fix: upgrade the kernel. To be sure I went back through this rather
long thread, and it appears to be the only answer.

BTW "Sanity" was meant as I needed a sanity check. CLEARLY, you are
right, my point again, that these issues become confused in the mind of
many.

Thanks,
Craig Woods