Charles A Edwards wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Apr 2002 11:38:33 -0700
> Larry Sword <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>Check your /var/log/dmesg for a line (something like):
>>
>>Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31
>>ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with idebus=xx
>>

> That line does not denote the UDMA state of a hd.
> It is the bus speed for all pci devices and can perform at no higher than 33mhz.
> AGP slots and ide controllers (both of which are also pci slots) overcome this by
>use of additional chips and instructions to increase their speed, but the baseline
>still will remain at 33mhz.
> That is why if your MOBO supports only UDMA66 you can still use udma100 or even
>udma133 hds but at no higher level than udma66 unless you make use of an add-on
>controller card which contains the necessary chipset and instructions to provide for
>udma100/133.
>

>     Charles

You are correct. My reply was too terse and unclear. By looking in this
area of the dmesg the explanations are to set the ide channels to higher
values by adding correct information to the booting sequence. I have
mine set to force the speed for the hard drive, a maxtor ata100.

In the lilo.conf, in the append line, I've added ide0=ata66 to force the
      seting..

Works for me.

Larry

--