On 19 May 2002 03:16:00 -0400, Lyvim Xaphir <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-05-19 at 01:44, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> > Have you used any IBM drives made in the past year? Until about a year ago
> > IBM drives were renowned for their reliability, and I used to recommend IBM
> > to all my friends. Since then, they have suffered reliability problems, and
> > the return rate for IBM drives has been high. There was even a class-action
> > lawsuit launched against IBM last year, since so many people's drives failed
> > (I think this was settled out of court).
> >
> > IBM have been first to develop and implement all sorts of new technologies,
> > including glass platters and that 'pixie dust' stuff. It looks as if they're
> > having major teething problems with these new technologies.
> >
> > There was some controversy a few weeks ago when IBM placed warnings on their
> > new drives indicating that they shouldn't be used for more than eight hours
> > per day. If that isn't an indication of poor reliability, then I don't know
> > what is.
> >
> > With all these quality control problems, and IBM's recent financial woes, I
> > am not surprised that they have decided to sell their hard drive unit to
> > Hitachi.
> >
> > If you're wondering where I get all this stuff, it is The Register
> > (http://www.theregister.co.uk).
> >
> > For me, IBM was a natural choice until this string of incidents. WD is out
> > of the picture, since they don't correctly follow the ATA spec. That leaves
> > Seagate and Maxtor.
>
> Ugh.  This is not good at all.  And it is true that my information is
> slightly dated; the two IBM Deskstar's I have here are about a year
> old.  Where did you get this information?  Any links?
>
> LX

I did a quick web search and found a few relevant pages:

http://theregister.co.uk/content/53/24896.html
http://theregister.co.uk/content/archive/22412.html
http://news.com.com/2100-1001-866602.html?legacy=cnet&tag=lh
http://www.viahardware.com/ibm120gxp.shtm

In my last post I was writing from memory, so some of the details were not quite
accurate. For example, IBM is only (!) selling 70% of its HDD business to
Hitachi, and the new business will be a Hitachi-IBM joint venture. Also, the
recommended maximum usage for the new IBM drives is on average 11 hours per day
(not eight as I had previously mentioned). But the fact remains: if the drives
are reliable, why would IBM feel the need to do this? No other manufacturer
does.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

        "Have you learned nothing at all from DOS and Windows?"
                  -- Linus Torvalds