On Sunday 19 May 2002 10:26 am, Nelson Bartley wrote:
> Question for you guys, why do you dislike WD hard drives?
>
> I've currently got a 20GB 7200 in my server and it runs
> beautifully. It's quiet, I've never had a problem with it, and it's
> plenty fast. I know of all the IBM hard drive problems, however
> where are these WD problems comming from?

     Much the same as the reports of IBM problems in the last year,
in late '97, early '98, more serious reports of WD problems surfaced.
WD's RMA rate went sky high, they even had to recall a few models.
So IME, (I use to use WD's), they haven't been worth buyin since.
Also, search for Civileme's WD reports on the list archives. Problems
with Linux support, CRC shortcuts/errors, etc.  IOW's win-hardware.
--
    Tom Brinkman                    Corpus Christi, Texas