On Sunday 19 May 2002 02:51 am, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:

> I did a quick web search and found a few relevant pages:
>
> http://theregister.co.uk/content/53/24896.html
> http://theregister.co.uk/content/archive/22412.html
> http://news.com.com/2100-1001-866602.html?legacy=cnet&tag=lh
> http://www.viahardware.com/ibm120gxp.shtm
>
> In my last post I was writing from memory, so some of the details
> were not quite accurate. For example, IBM is only (!) selling 70%
> of its HDD business to Hitachi, and the new business will be a
> Hitachi-IBM joint venture. Also, the recommended maximum usage for
> the new IBM drives is on average 11 hours per day (not eight as I
> had previously mentioned). But the fact remains: if the drives are
> reliable, why would IBM feel the need to do this? No other
> manufacturer does.

    Most of those links (and others) refer to IBM HDD's over 40GB
havin problems. I just recently had a 10 month old, IBM 30GB 7200rpm
ata/100 2mb drive fail.  My Linux drive ;(  Mechanical problem.  The
drive was used 24/7, but after being shutdown for a week while I was
out'a town, it wouldn't spin up when I booted the system. System
wouldn't even boot with that drive connected. Fortunately I had most
of the stuff I needed from that drive backed up to CD's. I replaced
it with a Maxtor 40GB. OTOH, my Windoze drive is a several years old
IBM 7200rpm, ata/66 13.6GB. Never has a problem ..... yet ;)
--
    Tom Brinkman                    Corpus Christi, Texas