Not really OT because it's all about useage of the MandrakeLinux
Distribution.

I DL'd the 8.2 version, made a new installation and tried to stick with
the programs and tools I was used to deploy for years now.

There was KDE as the desktop, Mutt for mail, Netscape as browser and more.
Now I read a lot about KDE 3.0 and gave it a try. It was, to say the
least, "bumpy". Got lots of hidden error messages, programs crashing or
freezing, nothing serious but not in the least as stable as 2.2.1.

So, what happened? I got rid of KDE, promising to get back to KDE when
there is a 3.0.1 or such. Being at it, I switched from Konqueror to
Evolution, from Netscape to Galeon and made fluxbox my window manager.

So far, so good. I realized that there is a whole lot more to explore, so
I switched my mail client to emacs-gnus (which I've been using as
newsreader all the time) and my xterm to rxvt.

I had to wait for the boxed version to reach my home so I switched from
StarOffice 5.2 to OpenOffice and again I was surprised to get all
features I need in a much shorter time than before.

As a result I got a machine with a lot less time to be ready for action,
a extremely leaner system altogether and on top I learned an important
thing:

'Never change a running system' may have it's merits but OTOH over the
years you get so used to do things in a certain way, using 'your
favourite application' for this and that. And you loose the eye for new
and different developments, things that may suit your needs better than the
worn out shoes you're used to wear.

By this experience I learned that looking over your tea-cup's rim is not
so bad, sometimes it can be a most pleasurable adventure.

Ahem,...that doesn't mean I will be changing to XP to learn something new
after my years of Linux!

Thanks for reading

wobo
--
Registered Linux User 228909      Powered By Mandrake Linux 8.1
Microsoft, Windows, Bugs, Lacking Features, IRQ Conflicts, System