I want to install a RAID on my server, currently running Mandrake 8.2, in
order to imporve data integrity and guard against hardware failure. I've
downloaded raidtools-0.9 rpm and installed it, the next things is to buy the
hardware. I'm not sure whether to run RAID 1 or RAID 5, presumably I'll need
two disks for the former and three for the latter? But do all the disks need
to be identical?

What happens if I have a major system problem and need to recover data from
another machine? If I use RAID 1 I can restore from either disk on a machine
without raidtools but with RAID 5 I'd need any two of the disks plus a
machine with raidtools installed, is this correct?

What other implications should I be aware of when using software RAID?

Any help/experiences much appreciated.

Thanks,

        Mark