On Tuesday 04 June 2002 10:13 am, James wrote:

> It's actually a root kit a friend of mine "lent" me.  He wrote it
> originally for 386BSD because when they were "testing" it they kept
> screwing up the login etc. and needed a way to get into the boxes.
> Since the box had a user accessable compiler I just compiled it, then
> ran ./login it said "what do you want" I typed root it sayed "go
> away" and gave me root.  I then created user root2 with UID 0 (by the
> way bastille used to be able to create a second "root" for you.) and
> was able to use it to login as root.  4 hours later we had all the
> data off of the box. (passwd and shadow had gotten really fuzzed up,
> over time, how I don't know but it was.) that needed to be off ie new
> backup, and we commenced building a new box to replace this one.
>
> As for how to get root on a box.  Reboot, then at the lilo prompt
> type linux(or a kernel name) -s ... most don't password protect this
> one.  So it drops right to root, in single user mode.

Bastille Linux stops this.

> As for not needing a patch but rather a plan.  I'm talking about
> things like, how do you get a username and password for a box.  Call
> someone and ask (that's how Minik did it.)  or turn over their
> keyboard... and read all the sticky notes.  Cause once they are on
> the box in any form .... the box is vulnerable.  E-mail is also a
> great source of usernames. Just use thier e-mail addy + a dictionary
> attack (start with cursewords and human names) ..... you've got it.
> The problem with viruses I still contend, and may be wrong.  Is that
> the vulnerablity is because we can only protect from a frontal
> attack.  This is the plan we need, how to protect from an internal
> attack.  How to make people use real passwords. (But ^rt(K21J is too
> hard to type... can't I just use my dogs name?) and for me... stop
> giving the "black hats" the tools they need already on my box.

There are excellent suggestions here:

<http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1977000/1977405.stm>

Completely random password generators are a bad idea, but a former ISP
of mine had an ingenious package which produced passwords based on the
frequencies of digraphs and trigraphs (in English) interspersed with
_unlikely_ single letters. This produced memorable, speakable passwords
which were also nonsense (and could be trivially altered with symbols
or digits). The following seems to do roughly the same thing:

<http://www.multicians.org/thvv/gpw.html>

Alastair

- --
Alastair Scott (London, United Kingdom)