Thanks very much to everyone who has responded to this thread so far,
and to anyone else that responds!

In addition to trying to solve my problem, I plan to create a page on
WikiLearn addressing the issue.  I may quote some of your material or
may just paraphrase and list you as a contributor.

The page will be (tentatively) at:

http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/edit/Wikilearn/DiagnosingDialUpModemProblems

Although you may see some activity on that page very soon, you can
expect it to be in a high state of flux for at least the next few days.

If you have any comments, suggestions, or objections, please let me
know, or comment / make changes on the page, as it is a wiki (TWiki)
page.

Thanks again!
Randy Kramer