Pierre,

Thanks for your response!

Pierre Fortin wrote:
> - do you have call waiting or other intrusive-notification features?
>   sure the telco didn't add some by mistake?

No, or at least I don't pay for it -- but it is worth checking.
Sometimes a few minutes after a disconnect we get a (voice) call on the
data line.  I've sometimes (mentally) accused somebody of calling the
operator to disconnect us and then put the call through, but maybe there
is something like call waiting installed.

> - if you're using kppp, turn on debugging...  if the telco is initiating
> the disconnect, you will see a control packet (forgot the content)
> terminating the ppp session.  Otherwise, add "debug" to /etc/ppp/options
> for the same reason.

I'm not using kppp, but that is surprising -- I guess I thought they
just "electrically" pressed the switchhook down.  I probably don't have
a good way to view those packets or maintain a lot of debug data since
the gateway runs on a floppy disk -- but I might throw in an older
(small hard disk) and try looking a little closer.

> - are you getting a ppp termination code?  See EXIT STATUS section of 'man
> pppd'...
>   0, 15 or 16 are probably what you are seeing...
>   12 or 13 should be due to your end...

Another reason to add a small hard disk and start saving more log data.
Not sure if the dos software I'm using (iproute) provides similar
termination codes.  I guess long term, I should switch my internet
gateway to Linux.

Randy Kramer