Bill,

Thanks for your response!

Randy Kramer

Bill Randle wrote:
> Have you noticed any difference the frequency of disconnects based
> on weather? E.g., is it any worse after it rains compared to an
> extended dry spell?

No, but I'll start paying more attention to that.

What about time of day? Is it any worse during
> the day compared to night time?

Again, I'll have to pay more attention.  Certainly there are times of
the day when response is much slower, presumably because they are peak
times -- everybody home from work or whatever.

> Do you use the same phone line for your regular voice phone
> conversations?

No.

> If so, have you ever noticed any static, hum or other
> noise on the line? If so, you could get the phone co. to take a look at
> the line because your voice service is degraded.

But occasionally I do notice noise on the voice line -- I think (as
someone else suggested), I'll try switching them for a longer period of
time, and spend some time listening on the line that is now the data
line.

> If you don't use this line as your regular phone line, have you tried
> switching your data line and phone line to see if there's any
> difference. Check for data errors / disconnects on your regular line
> and listen for any audible problems on your data line.

Will do.

> Some modems track the number of transmission errors they receive, or
> the number of re-trains they have to do (i.e. how many times did your
> modem loose sync with the ISP's modem and have to re-establish the
> connection). You could check your modem documentation and see if
> any of this information is available with S regisiter queries.

I will look for such an s register (after I find the modem documentation
;-) )

> I think there are some phone numbers you can dial and get a
> relative quality and/or connection speed number, but I don't
> know any specific numbers off hand.

Those would be useful, if anybody else knows of some.  I know that one
of the modem manufacturers (US Robotics?) used to (and may still) offer
a service something like that, but, AFAIK, it mainly was a test to say
whether your line was adequate for the next step up (at the time) like
maybe to 56 kbps -- I'll check out their site today.

> There's various telephony test equipment made for testing phone
> lines, measuring bandwidth, etc., but you don't really want to
> buy that stuff for a one off test. What you need is a buddy that
> works for a phone company or private installation company or test
> equipment manufacturer that can help you test your line. As you
> pointed out, the phone company is not obligated to provide you
> high speed data service on a regular voice phone line. [In this
> context high speed means > 9600 baud or so.]

I'll have to look for a Telco buddy!