On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 17:25:53 +0930
"Moose Magin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I don't mean to stick up for windows on a linux list, but this is the
> biggest load of bullshit i've ever seen. I mean hell, I'm not a windows fan
> myself, but you should get your facts straight before you start bashing an
> operating system. What version of XP were you using?? I'd say from your
> description Windows XP HOME. NOT Professional. If you're using professional,
> you'll find that you can do whatever the hell you want to the drivers. The
> dog can easily be taken off, by right-clicking and saying disable. The
> stupid little hints are explaining not to you, but to the person who has
> just gone out and bought a computer for the first time in their entire
> lives, and have no idea where to start. Thus, the HOME edition. You can't
> look at XP home and complain because it doesn't give you the functionality
> of Linux. That's just stupid. It's not what it was intended for. If you want
> a decent (yes decent), stable operating system, that people KNOW HOW TO USE,
> go Windows XP PRO, and you'll have no trouble.
>
> (I run Mandrake by the way, I'm not a windows fan, but that just shits me).
> Sorry if anyone was offended by the minimal swearing.
>
> Matt

.. no problem, i'm not offended. FYI, i tried the professional
version. and BTW you probably had a good hardware experience
because you were lucky enough to get the hardware detected connectly.

and why is it stupid to try to compare functionality? i mean sure, tey
ARE different... but ML is also a Desktop OS ( trying to be? ) and
so i think they are comparable.

...yes i know the 'dog' can be taken off, but that's not the point..
i was compaing it to the 'clippy' from office, which of course can
be killed too, but was a PIA anyway..  i was only pointing out the
need for MS developers to include tiny pets and animals that explain
things for you... ( maybe a bit of a joke? )

maybe you with your ( more modern? ) successful hardware combination
had no problems with XP pro, but my experience was so dissapointing
as any other windows has.

i got bluescreens just like in win98. the only difference is that
they now added pitiful explainations of why you have to reboot.
( once i got one that said that the driver for my videocard
was trapped in an infinite loop! what would YOU think of this
decent OS? )

look, you had obviously a good experience with this version of
windows, so i can understand you may be a little pissed by my
trivial bashing.. but anyhow i think you overreacted a bit.
you could simply have said "it was not so much of a disaster to me"
and i would have got it.

.....and i STILL think that OS did treat me like i'm  stupid or
something. ( not that i'm trying to say i'm not, but i can only accept
that from human beings or other ppl's computers, not mine. ;o)

and if you plan to respond to this please let's make it off-list.
this thread was off-topic from the beginning and i don't want to make it
too long.

Damian