Thanks for the reply.  Although I did not understand your last paragraph, I
did learn a few things from your example.  I did get all of the values and
the variables were gone when the script ended.  Maybe I have been confused
all along.  Here is my file:

#!/bin/sh
PALMTOPCENTERDIR=/opt/Qtopia/qtopiadesktop
QTDIR=/usr/local/qt
PATH=$PATH:$PALMTOPCENTERDIR/:$PALMTOPCENTERDIR/lib
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$QTDIR/lib:$PALMTOPCENTERDIR/:$PALMTOPCENTERDIR/lib
export QTDIR PALMTOPCENTERDIR PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH

I expected the variables to retain the new values when the script ends.  So, I
open a terminal from KDE desktop, run the script, do some work, and close the
terminal.  Except that the new values only exist for whatever process runs
from that particular shell.

The question then is, can this be done?