On Monday 24 June 2002 01:36 pm, civileme wrote:
> Praedor Tempus wrote:
> >I am also a little leery of using linuxconf for this.  It (linuxconf)
> > appeared to bork my attempts at wlan ad-hoc networking and I was told not
> > to use it in a wlan mailing list.  In the past I have tried changing the
> > hostname via linuxconf with mucked up results.  I will give it a shot
> > again but still, what file/system config contains THE hostname
> > information utilized by "hostname"?  If is isn't /etc/hostname,
> > /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1, or
> >/etc/init.d/boot as mentioned in the hostname manpage, then what is it?
[...]
> Praedor
>
> use the hostname command in a terminal su'ed to root
>
> hostname  lapdog.ravenhome.net
> reboot
>
> If you look at rc.sysinit you will see that /bin/hostname is how the
> hostname is retrieved and how it is set.
>
> Now quit reading BSD specific/Slackware specific man pages, take your
> head out of the sand, and do it.
[...]

I have corrected the difficulty, but did so by editing /etc/sysconfig/network
and adding entries to /etc/hosts.

/etc/sysconfig/network:
NETWORKING=yes
FORWARD_IPV4=no
HOSTNAME="lapdog"
DOMAINNAME=ravenhome.net

/etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
127.0.0.1       lapdog.ravenhome.net    lapdog
10.0.0.1        lapdog.ravenhome.net    lapdog
10.0.0.5        overlord.ravenhome.net  overlord

I now have the domain and hostname that I wanted and it remains such after
reboot, reboot, reboot.  I have, in the past, tried the "hostname" method
only for the change to go away and remit back to "localhost" upon the next
reboot.  A binary file cannot hold the hostname inside itself, thus the
binary "/bin/hostname" would have to store a hostname in a file somewhere.  I
was less interested in the binaries and wizards and guis that one can try to
change this or that and more interested in the REAL meat...the actual file
that stored the change for posterity.  In my past attempts at using "hostname
<desired hostname>", it appeared to me that hostname merely stored the
hostname change for the current session rather than forevermore because upon
reboot, zap, back to localhost.  I quit trying to use /bin/hostname.

<Begin venting>
In any case, as to the "...quit reading BSD specific/Slackware specific man
pages, take your head out of the sand, and do it" statement.  What is the
point of including the manpages with the distro?  To add to the injury, many
than answer a question with a directive for the person to "read the manpage"
For instance, this hostname thing is totally wrong in the manpage.  Tell a
newbie to read the manpage and they will get exactly nowhere, get no answer,
and wonder what's wrong with their system or what's wrong with linux.

I believe the manpages should be eliminated if they are not current or do not
apply to linux.  It is also one thing to try to make everything easy to do
with GUIs and wizards, but to obfuscate what is actually happening, to make
it difficult to determine what is being done for someone so inclined (or who
needs to know because the wizard, GUI, or "simple" tool failed to perform as
expected) is pointless and counterproductive. I figure that roughly 30-40% of
the manpages I've read are either useless because they are too generic or
cryptic or they are flatout wrong.  They generally lack any examples so one
can see a real example of the command syntax, instead simply enumerating a
list of commands and thinking that it is completely intuitive as to how to
use the commands (it is not).<End Vent>

praedor