On Sun, 2002-06-30 at 18:33, logic7 wrote:
> I've just set up my ftp server with real logins only. What I would like to
> have is whenever someone logs in, they don't see their home directory.
> Instead, I want all users to share a common directory. I cannot seem to find
> info on this anywhere, anyone know how this is done?
>

>From the PureFTP "README.Virtual-Users" file:

       ------------------------ VIRTUAL USERS ------------------------

Since release 0.99.2, Pure-FTPd supports virtual users.

Virtual users is a simple mechanism to store a list of users, with their
password, name, uid, directory, etc. It's just like /etc/passwd. But
it's not /etc/passwd. It's a different file, only for FTP.

It means that you can easily create FTP-only accounts without messing
your system accounts.

Additionnaly, virtual users files can store individual quotas, ratios,
bandwidth, etc. System accounts can't do this.

Thousands of virtual users can share the same system user, as long as
they all are chrooted, and they have their own home directory.

So a good thing to do before using virtual users is to create a system
user for this. Of course, you can use any existing account like "nobody"
(but not root), but it's better to have a dedicated account.

Let's create an "ftpgroup" group and an "ftpuser" user.

Linux/OpenBSD :

groupadd ftpgroup
useradd -g ftpgroup -d /dev/null -s /etc ftpuser

Then, all maintenance of virtual users can be made with the "pure-pw"
command. You can also edit the files by hand if you want.

Files storing virtual users have one line per user. These lines have the
following syntax :

number of connections>:<files quota>:<size quota>:<authorized local
IPs>:<refused local IPs>:<authorized client IPs>:<refused client
IPs>:<time restrictions>

Fields can be left empty (exceptions: account, password, uid, gid, home
directory) .

Passwords are compatible with the hashing function used in /etc/passwd
or /etc/master.passwd . They are crypto hashed with blowfish, md5,
multiple-des and simple des, in this order, according to what your
system has support fort.

RTFM on Pureftp and you got it licked.

HTH, LX