On Fri, 5 Jul 2002 22:17:15 -0700
Todd Lyons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said with temporary authority

> James wrote on Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 03:36:23PM +0000 :
> >
> > 98% of my CPU..........
> > The program ...... VI yep it had been up for about 2 hours and was
> > slowly consuming all my cpu power.   Has anyone else noticed this or
> > better yet can anyone else duplicate it.  I'd like to know if this
> > is a bug or a one off.
>
> I can reproduce this since RedHat version 6.2, but only in an error
> scenario.
>
> 1) ssh to a box.  Any box, it doesn't matter.  'vi file'
> 2) close the window that you ssh'd from (or let it time-out if you
> ssh'd to a remote box outside of your firewall, ie not on your local
> lan) 3) ssh back to that box and you'll see that it is consuming 99%
> CPU
>
> I don't have a technical reason why it happens, but it does. (seems to
> be related to vi losing its controlling terminal).  You have to kill
> -9 it get rid of it.  killall -9 vi works too.
>
> As for why it did this to you on a still running instance of vi, I'm
> not sure.  A surefire way of finding this in the future is to do a ps
> ax or ps aux and look for a process with a very high CPU time number.
Todd-

   Found out why it was doing it with an "open" window.... Seems to have
been related to my problems with X.  It seems that at times windows
"appear" to be open but in fact the process controlling them has quietly
died without error.  Eventually  the screen will refresh and the window
will disappear. (usually when I come back to that "page" in my wm and
try to do something with it.)  I know I'm getting a lot of weird errors
of late ..... thanks for being tolerant.  This box is as flakey as win95
right now and I can't afford the time to scrub it back to wood and start
it over.

James