Daryl Johnson wrote:
> OK  things move on - with a degree of embarrassment  :o/
>
> Following on from some of Larry Swords comments  I ran the card down to the
> European web site (makes sense, I bought the card in Scotland).  I had the
> opportunity here to d/l a manual.  Query, if there is a manual available why
> wasn't it in the box?  Maybe it was but on the windows disk.  Hmmmmmmm
>
> Anyway, d/l the manual and have a glance through.
>
> Well, that's certainly a better set-up diagram than the leaflet - let's see
> if everything is as per... well, the cd line is to the right place tick one.
> The line in is.... Oh sh&t, check back with the leaflet... degree of
> confusion, check with the manual, none at all.  Replace line out one socket
> up.
>
> Run Control Centre and sound card configuration and a LOUID american voice
> tells me that my card is configured!  A quick run of a cd and it plays.  Oh
> Joy.
>
> Further check shows that /etc/modules.conf is as per:
>
> alias usb-interface usb-uhci
>
> # ALSA native device support
> options snd snd_major = 116 snd_cards_limit = 1
>
> #OSS/Free setup
>
> probeall scsi_hostadapter advansys
> alias eth0 3c59x
> alias sound-slot-0 es1371

I would recommend, as root, make a backup of your /etc/modules.conf
file. Then edit /etc/modules.conf and remove these lines:
(as you are no longer using the ALSA drivers.

# ALSA native device support
options snd snd_major = 116 snd_cards_limit = 1

The ONLY entry for your sound card needsis:

alias sound-slot-0 es1371

Run depmod -a.

Then reboot.

> Certainly seems a bit less elaborate than before.
>
> OK another test, shutdown and reboot.
>
> Dmesg now shows:
>
> es1371: version v0.30 time 01:49:49 Mar 15 2002
> es1371: found chip, vendor id 0x1274 device id 0x5880 revision 0x02
> es1371: found es1371 rev 2 at io 0xcc00 irq 11
> es1371: features: joystick 0x0
> ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: 0x8384:0x7608 (SigmaTel STAC9708)
>
> plus an illegal CDROM request
>
> sr0: CDROM (ioctl) reports ILLEGAL REQUEST.
> sr0: CDROM (ioctl) reports ILLEGAL REQUEST.

Maybe you don't have a cdron in the drive?