I'm curious if there is any better way to manage winbind and smbd. I've got
a server that exhibits what seems to be high CPU usage, even under low
connection loads. Using Samba 2.2.3a and the Winbind daemon that ships with
Mandrake, I'm seeing a CPU usage of 7-10% for smbd, and approximately 10-20%
for winbind, simultaneously.

The connection load is 12 separate connections, from two unique hosts.
Network throughput is appx 1Mbit to the server. While this is not a high CPU
usage, the low number of concurrent connections makes me concerned. It's a
1.26Ghz PIII with 1 gig of RAM and two 120 gig HDs running XFS and Ext3,
mirrored into a RAID 1 config with the linux software RAID setup. It's a
100Mbit network, and the network card is an onboard Intel EEPro 100.

Is this an abnormal amount of CPU usage? For a server of this speed and
configuration, it seems to be rather burdened.

Regards,
Nathan