The problem turned out to be with mod_ssl-2.8.5-3.1mdk. I uninstalled
2.8.5-3.1mdk and reinstalled 2.8.5-2.1mdk and that got the server running
again. I don't know why the upgrade crashed the server. I'm running
1.3.22-10.1mdk of the Apache server. rpm -qa | grep apache yields:

apache-1.3.22-10.1mdk
apache-common-1.3.22-10.1mdk
apache-suexec-1.3.22-1.1mdk
apache-modules-1.3.22-10.1mdk