Mark Lucas wrote:

>Thanks for this, I'll have another go.
>
>To save confusion my system is as follows:
>
>17Gb IDE drive with partition 1 mounted as root
>40Gb IDE drive, single ext3 partition mounted on /data
>4Gb SCSI drive with various ext2 partitions
>2x9.1Gb SCSI drives with RAID 0 partitions to give /dev/md0 mounted on /home
>
>raidtab as follows:
>    raiddev /dev/md0
>        raid-level      0
>        persistent-superblock   1
>        chunk-size      4
>        nr-raid-disks   2
>        device  /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target2/lun0/part1
>                raid-disk       0
>        device  /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target3/lun0/part1
>                raid-disk       1
>
>fstab as follows:
>    /dev/hdc1 / ext3 defaults 1 1
>    /dev/ide/host1/bus1/target0/lun0/part1  /data  ext3  defaults  0  2
>    none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
>    none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
>    /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 ro,nosuid,noauto,exec,user,nodev 0 0
>    /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy vfat sync,nosuid,noauto,user,nodev,unhide 0 0
>    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
>    /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2  /usr/local/squid/cache/squid0
>ext2  defaults  0  0
>    /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target2/lun0/part5  /usr/local/squid/cache/squid1
>ext2  defaults  0  0
>    /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target3/lun0/part5  /usr/local/squid/cache/squid2
>ext2  defaults  0  0
>    /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3  swap  swap  defaults  0  0
>    /dev/md0  /home  ext2  noauto  0  0
>
>Sorry for any confusion.
>
>        Mark

OK I had a little more complex situation with one IDE and two SCSI
drives for my example.  I used diskdrake during install to set
everything up and I have no problem even though / is on a RAID5.  That
was on a Compaq Professional Workstation 5000 with dual PPro 200/512s.

I think we need to discover how your system is different.  I never had
trouble with a reboot.

Check your /etc/modules.conf  Make sure that the scsi driver is the
FIRST thing loaded.  If the raid is loaded first, it may have nothing to
reference and get autocleaned though that would be quirky in my POV.

Civileme