In history, I used Red Hat from 5.2 till 6.2, then I switched over to
Mandrake. However, with Mandrake (including 8.2) I sometimes have the effect
that an application doesn't get killed, but instead eats 100% of cpu time.

This happens to many console based applications, but one way to reproduce it:

Install telnet, telnet into your own box, start ntsysv, kill the connection.

Open X-Windows, open a console, start ntsysv, close the window by clicking the
X button on the window.

Other applications are our self-compiled ones, or icpcon (a configuration
program for ICP Vortex RAID controllers). This app is statically linked (get
it from http://www.vortex.de/ftp/download/rdrnrsrz/linux/icpcon.gz, it run's
even when you don't have such a controller installed).

The strange thing: this happens mostly with ncurses-based applications, but
not with all. "mc", the midnight commander, works very well.

As I said, those applications where terminated correctly on Red Hat. I'm just
puzzled. Any hints?