On Friday 06 September 2002 11:05 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Mike Settle wrote:
> > Oh, for sure - Computers were just plain *FUN* back then !!!  Now,
> > they're just a *&^%in' job.....  We had two different ways of generating
> > computer 'music' back then - One, was to turn to a really low band on one
> > of those new-fangled Japanese transistor radios and set it on top of the
> > CPU.  The other way was to put the print chain in neutral, run a bunch of
> > cards thru the reader and listen to the 'tune' on the printer.....
>
> OK, all you super-annuated geeks, here's a little test that I found
> online:
>
> Determine how far back your computer skills go by seeing how many of the
> following you have experience with:
OK, sounds like fun. BTW, (in case you haven't figured it out from my other
postings) I'm not a computer professional) but a retired mechanical engineer
who's been using these things since the mid-60's.

> Altair 8800
Was that the one with all of the switches on the front? If so, I've seen
several run, but I didn't actually touch them. Old rule of mine: Don't push
buttons on expensive machines that don't belong to me.

> 7-track tape
> 9-track tape
Yup.

> chad bins (nothing to do with the polls)
Yup. Spilled one, once. Learned that it's a bitch chasing those things with
only a corn broom and fingers as tools.

> drum card
Huh?

> card reader
Yup.

> line printer
Amazing machines -- noisy as hell (especially with the cover up), but they
could really crank out the paper. Don't get frisky with form feeds, and hope
the ribbon doesn't go south on your shift.

> line printer forms control tape
Luckily, I managed to duck that bit.

> green bar
A great invention. Those great long transparent rulers were useful, too.

> write ring
Huh?

> core memory
Yup.

> decollator/burster
Yup. Careful with the carbon sheets if you're kind of clumsy and you wear
white shirts, though.

> batch station
> overlay segments
> DVST graphics terminal
Huh?

> coding form (FORTRAN or COBOL)
I threw away some FORTRAN and BASIC pads just last year.

> EBCDIC
Yes, indeed. I once had an Anderson Jacobsen printer that was based on the
Selectric consoles used on the IBM System 370. Although the type balls used
on them were dimensionally identical to the type balls used on standard
office Selectric typewriters, the positioning of the characters was quite
different. The office type balls were much less expensive (sometimes free),
and offered a better selection of fonts, so I hand coded a Z80 assembly
language driver that allowed me to use either kind of type ball.

> 110 baud modem
> ASR teletype
My wife put me through engineering school as an ATT Long Lines teletype
operator, and she drove one of those things all day long. Back in those days,
all teletype switching was done manually. Luckily, I graduated (1961) shortly
before the system was converted to dialup. Several years later (1967), I got
first hand experience with dialup teletype to access a shared time computer
running GE's Dartmouth BASIC.  (As in 10 LET A=5, etc.) One of the
funniest things that I've ever seen was a slow motion film made of an ASR-33
mounted on a shake table, and subjected to a shock spectrum that simulated a
nuclear blast. First, the sheet metal covers peeled off, and then it began to
stream paper upwards to the ceiling. A pawl on the feed mechanism was
displaced from the ratchet, so the paper just kept on going. And going.

> paper tape
Yup -- that was how we backed up our programs on the shared time setup.

> TI silent-700 (the 50 pound model, not the 5 pound one)
No, but I knew a guy who had a Kaypro. Does that count?

> 10 platter removable disk pack
Also called a cake platter because it looked like those dishes that they used
to have in roadside diners.

> flowchart template
Sure. We designer types had templates for everything.

> Hazeltine 2000
No. Was that anything like an ADM-3A?

> Bell Labs Unix V6 or V7
No, that came after I left there. Besides, I was way at the other
end of the organization charts, worrying about how to make sure that you
could call your Aunt Tillie in Boise after the Big Ones were dropped.

> nixie tube display
Yup. Mostly on lab equipment -- not sure that I ever saw one on a computer.

> Commodore Pet
> Timex Sinclair
Does owning an Exidy Sorcerer count? True story: I spent $140 to expand the
memory from 16kb to 32 kb. Pretty much eliminated OUT OF RAM messages unless
I got careless with DIM statements.

> -dl
> And who really remembers what a statically-deskewed longitudinal check
> frame count is?
No. Nor does anyone else. Even the guy who invented has forgotten it.

> (And I know this really appears off-topic, but this was where Linux came
> from :)).

Thanks. This has been a ball.
-- cmg