On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Mike Settle wrote:

> Oh, for sure - Computers were just plain *FUN* back then !!!  Now, they're
> just a *&^%in' job.....  We had two different ways of generating computer
> 'music' back then - One, was to turn to a really low band on one of those
> new-fangled Japanese transistor radios and set it on top of the CPU.  The
> other way was to put the print chain in neutral, run a bunch of cards thru
> the reader and listen to the 'tune' on the printer.....

OK, all you super-annuated geeks, here's a little test that I found
online:

Determine how far back your computer skills go by seeing how many of the
following you have experience with:

Altair 8800
7-track tape
9-track tape
chad bins (nothing to do with the polls)
drum card
card reader
line printer
line printer forms control tape
green bar
write ring
core memory
decollator/burster
batch station
overlay segments
DVST graphics terminal
coding form (FORTRAN or COBOL)
EBCDIC
110 baud modem
ASR teletype
paper tape
TI silent-700 (the 50 pound model, not the 5 pound one)
10 platter removable disk pack
flowchart template
Hazeltine 2000
Bell Labs Unix V6 or V7
nixie tube display
Commodore Pet
Timex Sinclair

-dl
And who really remembers what a statically-deskewed longitudinal check frame
count is?

(And I know this really appears off-topic, but this was where Linux came
from :)).