dh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
(09/06/2002 15:29)

>Excellent description, you neglected to mention that except for the
>very (very!) earliest of versions it was/is also a fully pre-emptive,
>multitasking OS.
>The first computer I owned that could draw me away from it as far as
>usability was a 700mhz athlon. (ppc, mac os7.5 was unusable in
>comparison, as far as I was concerned). It still works well today for
>email and light net stuff.
>I think I paid 150$ 2 1/2 years ago for a brand new Amiga 1200 w/ word
>processor, paint and spreadsheet programs as well as 4gb hard drive.
>
>The biggest limitation was expensive peripherals due to lack of
>manufacturer support (thanks to m$ and the sheepish behavior of
>society).

Yes, I forgot the pre-emptive multi-tasking. That

i. more than one application could run at once without fakery (such
as terminate-and-stay-resident applications in DOS);

ii. if an application crashed, neither other applications nor the OS
was brought down;

was sensational and, I think, underappreciated (people were so used
to running applications sequentially they couldn't think what to do
with something which could run them in parallel :)

Despite the lack of availability the hardware that existed was plug-
and-play. I remember buying a 20MB hard drive (!) for about £200 (!)
in 1991 or so which attached to the side of the machine and 'just
worked' - an icon appeared on Workbench (the Amiga GUI) and, after
formatting, I could drag icons and folders to it.

There was also a trapdoor under the machine in which various
expansion cards could be inserted, and it was easy to insert an
accelerator card which overrode the 68000 CPU (for example, with a
68030 plus 68882 floating point unit).

These facilities were _certainly_ way ahead of the times; adding
hardware tended to be (deliberately?) difficult if not impossible on
most systems. At the time the Mac offered similar usability but was a
far more closed system and cost 7 or 8 times more :)

Alastair