On Thursday, September 19, 2002, at 06:47 AM, Mark Williamson wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Something frustrated me, that is every time I updated my Mandrake PCs
> on
> my network here, I found myself downloading the same updates for each
> system off the update sites.  The problem with that, it was just a
> waste
> of bandwidth, plus speed of the updates downloading each time
> etc..etc..
> O.K. I found a solution that I thought that I would share with
> everyone,
> I found that I could build a update cache using Apache and using it's
> ProxyPass module.. to build the cache..  here's my config, and if
> anyone
> could suggest improvements please do..

Another option is to use rsync to mirror whatever updates directories
you are interested in and make a local FTP server just to serve up the
updates to the other machines, then point each machine to the FTP site,
using rpmdrake or urpmi.

This is what I do here, although I have two FTP repositories.  One for
the intranet, and one for my DMZ (I don't want to allow in traffic to
my local LAN from the DMZ until I can use urpmi in rsync-over-ssh mode).

This way, you considerably reduce your bandwidth if you have a few
hundred MB somewhere to spare.

--
MandrakeSoft Security; http://www.mandrakesecure.net/
"lynx - source http://linsec.ca/vdanen.asc | gpg --import"