From: Vincent Danen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2002 5:07 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [expert] Making a Mandrake update cache

On Thursday, September 19, 2002, at 06:47 AM, Mark Williamson wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Something frustrated me, that is every time I updated my Mandrake PCs
> on
> my network here, I found myself downloading the same updates for each
> system off the update sites.  The problem with that, it was just a
> waste
> of bandwidth, plus speed of the updates downloading each time
> etc..etc..
> O.K. I found a solution that I thought that I would share with
> everyone,
> I found that I could build a update cache using Apache and using it's
> ProxyPass module.. to build the cache..  here's my config, and if
> anyone
> could suggest improvements please do..

Another option is to use rsync to mirror whatever updates directories
you are interested in and make a local FTP server just to serve up the
updates to the other machines, then point each machine to the FTP site,
using rpmdrake or urpmi.

This is what I do here, although I have two FTP repositories.  One for
the intranet, and one for my DMZ (I don't want to allow in traffic to
my local LAN from the DMZ until I can use urpmi in rsync-over-ssh mode).

This way, you considerably reduce your bandwidth if you have a few
hundred MB somewhere to spare.

--
MandrakeSoft Security; http://www.mandrakesecure.net/
"lynx - source http://linsec.ca/vdanen.asc | gpg --import"

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- Business Computer Projects - Disclaimer -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

This message, and any associated attachment is confidential. If you have
received it in error, please delete it from your system, do not use or
disclose the information in any way, and notify either Tony S. Sykes
or the postmaster <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
immediately.

necessarily the views of Business Computer Projects Ltd., unless
specifically stated.

Whilst every effort has been made to ensure that emails and their
attachments are virus free, it is the responsibility of the recipient(s)
to verify the integrity of such emails.

Business Computer Projects Ltd
BCP House
151 Charles Street