On Sunday 29 September 2002 06:18 pm, et wrote:

> with a geforce 4 and MAndrake before 9.0, you are not going to have
> a working Xfree -4 setup, you will be useing framebuffer and
> xfree3.3.6

he can have one if he uses the nvidia drivers.  I upgraded to gf4 from
and gf2 while running 8.2 and iir I didn't have to do anything - but
I've already using nvidia drivers.  That's why I told him at the very
beginning of this adventure he would /have/ to use them.

tho I never entertained the notion of him using XFree86-3.3.6.  I'm
not sure of his goals, but guessing he'd like 3d acceleration tho, or
else could have gotten alot cheaper card.  In which case he's gonna
have to use XFree86-4.X.x & nvidia drivers.

Some people just really have a hard time with getting those drivers
working the first couple of times they have to, even tho it's gotten
soo easy now.  I remember when we had to hunt down all the
conflicting libraries ourselves and make our own links for other apps
to be able to use them - when tarballs were all there were and had to
read the readme to get the compiling options - and we were grateful
for 'em!  <teehee>
-s