On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, Lorne wrote:

> On Sunday 29 September 2002 09:10 pm, you wrote:
>> On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, Lorne wrote:
>>> I do have the nvidia drivers and they seem to load. It is just after
>>> quite some period of time that it dies back to the bash prompt. I'm
>>> beginning to think I have some sort of conflict or something. I think I'm
>>> going to disable firewire, usb and some other stuff and see what happens.
>>> ??
>>
>>   Are you using the 3123 nvidia drivers, or 2960?  I tried the new ones,
>> it locked up my system, I had to hit the power button.  I went back to
>> 2960 and everything's hunky dory.
>
> NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.tar.gz, so I guess 3123. Hmm.... well it sure is woth the
> try. I have had such trouble with this, that I feel like it is two years ago
> when Linux was less mature. I had no idea that Nvidia was so poorly
> supported!
>
> Where did you go to get the older drivers?

  Same place as the new ones, <nvidia.com>.  Click on "DOWNLOAD DRIVERS",
then under "For Linux Users" click on "Linux Display Drivers", and you'll
see a list, with 3123 at the top and 2960 right under it.  Or you can
click on this: <http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_display_1.0-2960>.
I always download the tar files into /home/spock/Nvidia, become root or
cd there as root from another console, copy the files to /usr, cd to /usr,
untar the files and do make install in the kernel and GLX directories,
go to /etc/X11, do: mv XF86Config /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.old, cd to
/home/settings where I keep a copy of the XF86Config-4 file from past
installs, cp it to /etc/X11, and I'm good to go.

HTH,
Dale