On Tue, 2002-10-01 at 10:07, Todd Lyons wrote:
> Vox wrote on Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 01:08:23AM -0500 :
> > James Sparenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > > doing this (fdisk /mbr ) wipes lilo from the mbr but it still doesn't
>
> This only works for dos (fat) filesystems.  If this is NTFS, that's a
> whole different problem and requires repair by Win2K.
>
> > > get rid of the lilo on hda1 (or in winders speak C drive)..... which is
> > > the real monster.... Nor unfortunately does it allow windows to install
>
> What the heck is lilo doing written in the MBR and in the boot sector of
> hda1?  If you were going to put lilo anywhere outside of the MBR, it
> should be in the first Linux partition, not the Windows partition.  If
> you're using NTFS, that's probably why your Win2K doesn't work.

I didn't do it... I'm just tasked with repairing it.  BTW her win2k
partition was (yep said the hell with it and reinstalled windwos.) fat32
not NT (it can do either one.)  What happened she installed once....
broke the install .... installed again with RH and it wrote to the MBR
not hda1... so ... two lilo's hence my question... what is the name of
the file that lilo writes to on the first partition if you install lilo
there?

James