James Sparenberg wrote on Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 01:03:58AM -0700 :

> The original problem is and I'm still wondering.... When you install
> lilo to hda1 (the first partition) instead of the MBR what is the
> filename that contains lilo?

There is no file.  It is outside of the file system.  You know the
command:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

It writes exactly 512 zeros to the very beginning of /dev/hda, aka, the
MBR.  Each partition has also 512 bytes worth of space.  You would be
tempted to call it the partition MBR, but in their infinite wisdom, the
powers that be called them the "boot sector".  So if you wuld have done:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda1 bs=512 count=1

It would have written 512 zeros to the very beginning of /dev/hda1,
which would have gotten rid of the lilo that you were seeing I do
believe.

Again, this is kind of just a guess since I think I missed out on much
of the discussion.

Blue skies...                   Todd
--
...and I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious
 anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my binaries, and you