I also think ncftp is a good command line based ftp client.  If you are
looking for a decent basic gui ftp you could always use your web browser.
For anonymous ftp just enter:
     ftp://www.system.com/
in the url bar.  If a username/password is required, use:
     ftp:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
and a dialog box should pop up asking you for the password.

Erik