Here's what I did in 9.0 final:
1) Selected Japanese as a second language during the installation
2) After I was running the 9.0 final, I dropped into a console and did
 # mv ~/.kde ~/.kde-old and kept my ~/.i18n file intact.
3) I logged into KDE and had it recreate my settings.
That's it, I was instantly able to type in Japanese.

Your ~/.i18n looks fine to me.

If this does not work for you, you should try to create a new account on
your machine, log into KDE, switch to Japanese in the KDE control panel
and then log out. If you can't log into this account after the switch,
you've most likely got some system problems [or something went wrong
between RC3 and 9.0 final, I have do admit that I haven't done this in the
final]

Narfi.
One hint for future use: It took me a long time to figure out that with
these settings,  KDE applications refuse to run over ssh if one does not
have kinput2 running, this is a change from 8.2 with KDE 3.03