Hi Narfi,

I have it working now, a little longwinded, i'm not sure why mdk did not
have it working out of the box like this.

I followed your guide, but after i had the working config i set KDE back
to en_GB, this wiped the .i18n file, but as i had it backed up that was
fine. Incidently en_GB.UTF-8 does not work with kinput2, i forced it and
it just dropped out of X on bootup.

Now I have a working config with this (and the qtconfig to see the input)

$ cat .i18n
LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_GB.UTF-8
ENC=utf8
LC_MONETARY=en_GB.UTF-8
XIM_PROGRAM=kinput2
LC_COLLATE=en_GB.UTF-8
XIM=kinput2
LC_NUMERIC=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_TIME=en_GB.UTF-8
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
XMODIFIERS="@im=kinput2"
LC_MESSAGES=en_GB.UTF-8

"On the spot" should not be default IMO, it never was in mdk8.x

Thanks (ども)

JG