2002-10-06 04:50, David Guntner writes:
> KhoGuan PhuaN grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
> >
> >   If you don't think so, and want to stick to level 4 or 5(paranoid
> >   level), edit /etc/security/msec/level.local, which does not exist by
> >   default, to create a customized setting for TMOUT:
> >
> >     from mseclib import *
> >     set_shell_timeout(0)
>
> I've tried doing that with 9.0.  And it happily ignored it.  Argh.

Try to remove /etc/sysconfig/msec and then run 'msec 4' with
set_shell_timeout(0) in /etc/security/msec/level.local.
'echo $TMOUT', and you will see it become 0.
Be sure to check my last reply to you about how to correct the broken
level.local file.

> With all the problems I've been having (with things like this, with mailq
> and newaliases being broken/missing, etc.), I'm seriously considering
> scrapping it and falling back to 8.2.  Maybe by 9.1, they'll have a stable
> system to make available....

'rpm -q sendmail postfix' to see if you have installed both sendmail
and postfix. Postfix has mailq and newaliases commands as sendmail.
To avoid confusion, Mandrake renames them as mailq.postfix and
newaliases.postfix for postfix, while mailq.sendmail and
newaliases.sendmail for sendmail.

Decide which MTA you want to use (check by sudo 'service sendmail
status' and 'service postfix status'; only one should be running) and
symlink either of the 2 pairs of mailq and newaliases to
/etc/alternatives/mta-mailq and /etc/alternatives/mta-newaliases
e.g. as root

~# ln -s /usr/bin/mailq.postfix /etc/alternatives/mta-mailq
~# ln -s /usr/bin/newaliases.postfix /etc/alternatives/mta-newaliases

> (For me, "stable" means more than simply, it doesn't crash.  The programs
> that should be there need to be there and work as expected, etc.)

Don't panic. Just a little bit of tuning to make ML 9.0 stable as you
mean.

--KhoGuan Phuann, from Taiwan