From: Steve Browne [mailto:sbrowne@;ix.netcom.com]
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2002 2:05 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [expert] Best way to backup.

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002 08:45:42 -0400, you wrote:

>On Thursday 17 October 2002 10:55 pm, Steve Browne wrote:
>> dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb
>>
>> This works for me on an ext2 system. Not sure about ext3 and the
>> others. Warning: depending on your CPUs and drive sizes, the transfer
>> can take a LONG time. Like, five hours.
>
>Have you tried increasing the buffer size?
>Something like "dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb bs=8M"
>This should help, granted it won't do lots if you have 5400 RPM drive,
with
>ISA IDE and a 486.

I'll try that. Thanks.

Steve

Stephen B. Browne
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Veritas odit moras"

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+- Business Computer Projects - Disclaimer -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

This message, and any associated attachment is confidential. If you have
received it in error, please delete it from your system, do not use or
disclose the information in any way, and notify either Tony S. Sykes
or the postmaster <mailto:David.Hamnett-Taylor@;BCPSoftware.com>
immediately.

necessarily the views of Business Computer Projects Ltd., unless
specifically stated.

Whilst every effort has been made to ensure that emails and their
attachments are virus free, it is the responsibility of the recipient(s)
to verify the integrity of such emails.

Business Computer Projects Ltd
BCP House
151 Charles Street