On Thu, 17 Oct 2002 20:47:22 -0400, you wrote:

>Hi list,
>
>         I have complex configurations on a few servers - MDK 8.1, 8.2 -
>and I am now at the stage to setup a backup procedure that would enable me
>to save the images of each server on a second hard drive on the same
>machine. In case of failure, I would like to be able to restore the
>original server setup.
>
>         What is the best way to reach that objective. In older days of
>Unix, we used the instruction DUMP and RESTORE. Is this valid in Linux or
>is there a better way.
>
>Thanks
>

>Groupe Richard Laframboise Consultants Inc.
>St-Eustache, Qc
>Canada

That is exactly what I do: use two identical sized hard drives and
clone one to the other. The native Linux command is dd

dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb

This works for me on an ext2 system. Not sure about ext3 and the
others. Warning: depending on your CPUs and drive sizes, the transfer
can take a LONG time. Like, five hours.

Steve
Stephen B. Browne
[EMAIL PROTECTED]