On Saturday October 19 2002 04:00 pm, Richard Laframboise wrote:
> Thanks Tom for the info but how can I configure my ide cd to be known
> as a scsi device

    They have to be, otherwise they wouldn't work at all, even under
windoze ;) There is no such thing as an  'Integrated Drive Electronics/
AT-Attachment' CD-RW without being SCSI emulated, any OS.  Lilo(conf)
should have/needs 'ide-scsi' on the kernel parameter append line, eg,
somethin like   append=" devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi"    and then you
should see somethin like ...

$ cd /dev
 dev$ ll scd*
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           31 Oct 19 10:38 scd0 ->
scsi/host0/bus0/target3/lun0/cd

 Another check is to run 'cdrecord -scanbus'   which for my burner as
slave on second ide (ide1, hdd) returns

scsibus0:

     0,3,0     3) 'PLEXTOR ' 'CD-R   PX-W8432T' '1.09' Removable CD-ROM

  See the relationship bus 0, target 3, lun 0 ... and scd0 -> ?    With
the same hardware, no config changes, but different Mandrake installs,
my burner was sometimes 0,0,0. Your burner could also be scd<number?>
depending whether you have other scsi or scsi emulated devices, so
check your particular install.

  Maybe i don't understand what you're askin ?  mea culpa, sorry