Easy ;-)

As far as you say, the ones that will "lend" their desktops are already
ready as you can do it through Windows+XWin32 so all you need is to
"configure" the "remote-clients". So just start X on "remote-clients"
with query option:

X -query <host>  &     (being <host> the IP/name of the main box)

Just FYI: the remote that connects to "the main box" is an X-server and
"the main box" is the client in X terms (just think who is the one that
requests the service of drawing something and who actually does the job
by drawing it...). Curious, isn't it? ;-)

Another option you can use (both in Linux and on Windows) is to use VNC.
Tightvnc is a good option as you can connect from a native client or
even connect to it throught a Browser (Netscape, IE, Konqueror, ...) and
you can share desktops or "cut" the wire and some days later  connect to
it again and go on where you were...

Play and enjoy ;-))

--
           Diego  Dominguez