I agree with you James, I have an AMD XP 1600MHz 256Mb main box and a
Pentium 166MMX laptop with 160Mb connected through a 100Mb/s lan and I
have found TightVNC faster/more responsive than "normal X" in a linux to
linux or in a linux to Exceed over windows config. (I use KDE over it
and it's a little bit too heavy, but as it has enought ram and my girl
loves it,... it's OK)

El sáb, 26-10-2002 a las 08:36, James Sparenberg escribió:
> If you found VNC to be slow try the tightVNC that MDK is now putting on
> it's disks.  I've been using it for about a year.  In fact I'm typing
> this e-mail on my desktop from the living room via VNC right now.  No
> problems with speed at all.  What I have found is.
>
> Over the net DON'T use kde or Gnome as your wm use ICE or some other
> lightweight wm.
> Don't do true color 16 bit is best.
> Ideal situation is linux ---> or Linux---> windows.  Windows --> Linux
> tends to crash Windows.
>
> Plan on about 32 megs per user minimum of ram + 64 for the base OS so
> that a 128meg ram system would only be good for 1 console and 2 remote
> users.  (This is assuming you are using ICE or it's equiv + tightVNC)
>
> I've found also that 128kbps upstream is the minimum bandwidth needed
> per user for "Just like being there" response. (Although using it over a
> 56k connection does work just feels like an old 386) Over a 100Mbps Lan
> it really sings.
>
> The speed with which the page refreshes is directly related to the
> quality of the video card of the box you are on.  Not the box you are
> coming from.  So it's best to not try to run a VNC session from a 386
> 12mhz with a 1meg video card (Although I've run the client on a 486
> 100mhz CPU and found ICE to be pretty responsive although VNC does tend
> to max out the CPU a lot when doing full page refreshes.
>
> Set your VNC to not export the remote cursor.  It saves an amazing
> amount of bandwidth.
>
> James
>

> On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 11:59, Alan Wilter Sousa da Silva wrote:
> > Hi!  Thank you very much.
> >
> >     I played with VNC before and found out it a litle bit slow.  Since
> > I used LTSP once, such solution is really great.
> >
> > On 25 Oct 2002, ddc_prueba wrote:
> >
> > > Easy ;-)
> > >
> > > As far as you say, the ones that will "lend" their desktops are already
> > > ready as you can do it through Windows+XWin32 so all you need is to
> > > "configure" the "remote-clients". So just start X on "remote-clients"
> > > with query option:
> > >
> > > X -query <host>  &     (being <host> the IP/name of the main box)
> > >

> > > Just FYI: the remote that connects to "the main box" is an X-server and
> > > "the main box" is the client in X terms (just think who is the one that
> > > requests the service of drawing something and who actually does the job
> > > by drawing it...). Curious, isn't it? ;-)
> > >

> > > Another option you can use (both in Linux and on Windows) is to use VNC.
> > > Tightvnc is a good option as you can connect from a native client or
> > > even connect to it throught a Browser (Netscape, IE, Konqueror, ...) and
> > > you can share desktops or "cut" the wire and some days later  connect to
> > > it again and go on where you were...
> > >
> > > Play and enjoy ;-))

> > --
> > -----------------------
> > Alan Wilter S. da Silva
> > -----------------------
> >  Laboratório de Física Biológica
> [...]

           Diego  Dominguez
              __/\__
             |      |
 Andalucia  /        \  Spain
             |__  __|
                \/

Copa del Mundo de la FIFA 2002
El único lugar de Internet con vídeos de los 64 partidos.
¡Apúntante ya! en http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/fc/es/