Why not just click "Do not activate eth0 at boot time" (or config it yourself in the boot up sequence? Then you can do as you wish.

JG

James Sparenberg wrote:
Viable alternatives If I always knew ahead of time what the IP would
be.  Problem is that I'm moving a lot to networks where either I don't
know the intended IP structure, or if I did set up once it won't be the
same this time.(customer sites).  Right now I've got about 6 profiles in
this laptop and expect to add more.(Never knew how much I'd need a
laptop till I bought one.)

James