On Mon, 28 Oct 2002 20:39:28 -0600
engage <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yesterday, I installed ML 9 on a Compaq Presario 1200T
> notebook with a Netgear MA401 PCMCIA wireless card. Also,
> I installed the linux-wlan-ng-0.1.16-pre4 package. The
> prism2_cs and p80211 modules get loaded and the wireless
> card LED indicates that it sees the AP (steady LED light)
> which seems to indicate that the config files are properly
> set up. But the AP doesn't show it associated . Using
> ifconfig to configure wlan0 gives an error that no such
> device exists but it does give it an IP address. ifconfig
> wlan0 shows that it is up and running. But, I can't ping
> the AP (network is unreachable). I can ping the address
> for wlan0 though. I've spent hours researching how-to's
> and faq's but I'm at a loss as to how to get this card to
> work.  Any suggestions?

I had many of the same problems and never managed to get the
wlang drivers to work with my Linksys wpc11 card.  Binding
the card to orinoco_cs works great with minimal set up and
works with your MA401.

Uninstall wlang
Install the wireless tools package from your distro cd.
Copy the attached hermes.conf file to etc/pcmcia
service pcmcia restart
service network restart
mcc &

Reconfigure your network connections, you should now have
your card detected.  You can set the WIRELESS_ options on
one of the configurations panels but they get tossed
whenever you make a subsequent change, so I manually set
them in the ifcfg-ethX file.

To manually set the options edit your
network script:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX (X being your eth
number)

Add the following entries if you need them:

WIRELESS_ESSID="yourAP"
WIRELESS_ENC_KEY="whatever your 128bit key may be"

service network restart

and you should be on your way, hope this helps.  Your cards
manfid may be different to the one in my hermes.conf file.
Just run > cardctl ident   from the command line to get your
cards specific manfid and edit the hermes.conf file.  This
is the only method that >I< have been able to get to work
with my cards and I have tried many a method.   If someone
knows exactly how to do this any easier I would love to
know.

Simon Ree
[EMAIL PROTECTED]