bascule wrote on Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 06:43:39PM +0000 :
> this is the line todd:
> /usr/share/rpm-helper/add-user openssh $1 sshd /var/empty /bin/true
> the add-user usage says that $1 is the 'num installed', can you explain that
> to me and expand on the /bin/true point that james raised?
> i figure that something is substituted for the $1 but i don't know what and
> thus the line doesn't do anything as it is

I did the following:

service sshd stop
rpm -e openssh-server
rpm -ivvh /path/to/openssh-server*

In the resulting output I found:

D:   install: running %pre script(s) (if any)
+ /usr/share/rpm-helper/add-user openssh 1 sshd /var/empty /bin/true

That gets run before any files get installed.  %pre is a pre-install
script).  Then further down, I found:

D:   install: running %post script(s) (if any)
+ /usr/share/rpm-helper/add-service openssh 1 sshd

This adds the ssh service to the init scripts locations (symlinks to
control starting/stopping at runlevel changes).  %post is a post-install
script.

In this case, it's probably easier for you to just delete the rpm then
reinstall it.

Blue skies...                   Todd
--
| MandrakeSoft USA             | Security is like an onion.  It's made |
| http://www.mandrakesoft.com  | made up of several layers and makes   |