hmmm,
i didn't know about the 'vv' bit, that's cool!
however:
D:   install: running %pre script(s) (if any)
+ /usr/share/rpm-helper/add-user openssh 1 sshd /var/empty /bin/true
   1:openssh-server         D: ========= Directories not explictly included in
package:
D:         0 /etc/pam.d/
D:         1 /etc/rc.d/init.d/
D:         2 /etc/ssh/
D:         3 /usr/lib/ssh/
D:         4 /usr/sbin/
D:         5 /usr/share/man/man5/
D:         6 /usr/share/man/man8/
D:         7 /var/

(i don't know what output may be significant) and i still get:
[root@mycroft bascule]# service sshd restart
Stopping sshd:                                                  [FAILED]
Starting sshd:Privilege separation user sshd does not exist
                                                                [FAILED]

running:
[root@mycroft bascule]# /usr/share/rpm-helper/add-user openssh 1 sshd
/var/empty /bin/true

gives no messages but i still get the above error on starting sshd
makes me think that perhaps the problem is not the rpm installation?

bascule

--
All Hell hadn't been let loose. It was merely Detritus. But from a few feet
away you couldn't tell the difference.